Top 5 Ways to Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease

1. FOLLOW A HEART HEALTHY DIET

Following a few simple rules as laid out in our Healthy Heart Diet section can significantly decrease your chances of developing heart disease. A brief summary follows:

A. Limit intake of trans fats and hydrogenated oils found in margarine, fast food, fried food, etc.

B. Limit refined sugar intake from cakes, cookies, candy, etc.

C. Use extra virgin olive oil and garlic in cooking – they can lower cholesterol

D. Add Omega 3 Fatty Acids to your diet – the best source is Fish Oil

For more information on a Heart Healthy Diet, click here

2. EXERCISE REGULARLY

Developing a steady exercise program as described in our Exercise for Healthy Heart section can also lower your risk of heart disease. A few quick tips:

A. Try to exercise 3-4 times per week, for at least a half hour at a time.

B. Keep your routine going, and start off slow.

C. Always stretch before and after training.

D. Keep yourself hydrated and rest between sets.

For more on exercise and heart health, click here

3. LEAD A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE

In addition to following a healthy diet and exercise regimen, you should also try to do the following:

A. Stop smoking and avoid second hand smoke – both are major causes of heart disease.

B. Limit your intake of alcohol – excessive alcohol can deplete your body’s supply of vitamins and other nutrients.

C. Try to reduce stress and anxiety – they can lead to high blood pressure and other health conditions.

D. Keep your weight within recommended limits – obesity is a leading cause of heart disease.

For more on how a healthy lifestyle can have a major impact on your overall heart health, click here.

4. KEEP TABS ON THE (4) BLOOD INDICATORS OF DEVELOPING HEART DISEASE

Make sure you get tested for increased cholesterol, triglycerides(fat), homocysteine and C Reactive Protein levels, and follow the protocols if any one of these indicators is elevated:

A. If your cholesterol is high, you can lower cholesterol naturally with policosanol, guggulipid and other herbal extracts as well as Fish Oil. Remember, only 20% of your cholesterol comes from what you eat, the other 80% is manufactured by your liver. Read more about lowering cholesterol here.

B. If your triglyceride (fat) levels are too high, lower your carbohydrate and sugar intake. Also, fish oil, Vitamin C, guggulipid and green tea are safe natural ways to lower triglyceride levels. Read more about lowering triglycerides here.

C. If your homocysteine levels are high, you can easily normalize the situation by including B Vitamins in your diet, particularly Folic Acid, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin B12. Read more about lowering homocysteine here.

D. If your C Reactive Protein levels are high, this indicates inflammation in the blood. Fish oil, ginger and MSM will help decrease inflammation naturally. Read more about lowering C Reactive Protein here.

For more information on the (4) Blood indicators, visit our here.

5. INCLUDE HEALTHY HEART NUTRIENTS

Due to current processing practices, many of the foods we eat are depleted or even devoid of essential nutrients. So even if you eat foods that should contain certain vitamins and minerals, there’s a good chance that these nutrients are not present.

Therefore, it is a good idea to supplement these nutrients, to make sure your body has what it needs to maintain heart health.

A. Cold water fish is often contaminated or devoid of essential Omega 3’s due to poor manufacturing and handling practices. Therefore you might want to consider a pure molecularly distilled fish oil supplement.

B. Many people are vitamin deficient, due to poor diets, or if they are elderly or sick. Therefore, supplementing vitamins is important. Specifically for the heart, the B Vitamins as well as the antioxidants Vitamin C and Vitamin E are important.

C. As we mentioned to the left, if you have high cholesterol or other heart disease precursors supplementing policosanol, CoQ10, guggulipid, green tea and other important minerals and herbal extracts is important.

D. There are many important nutrients for maintaining heart health as well as general health and wellbeing. There are many amino acids, minerals, enzymes and other nutrients that your body needs to function properly and efficiently, that you might not be getting enough of in your diet.

To find out more about heart healthy nutrients, click here